This post is a bit late … but better late than never! A friend’s daughter recently turned 2 years old, and I have to admit I wasn’t sure what gift to get her that a 2-year old would enjoy! I have a 4-year old (and a newborn baby), but for the life of me, I couldn’t remember what was a hit with our little one a few years ago, when she was 2! I had to go back and take a quick look at my blog post (Tried & Tested Gift Ideas for a Toddler). Then it all came back to me!
If I’m already having troubles remembering favourite gifts from a couple years ago, I can’t imagine what I’ll be like when a few more years have passed! So this post is for me … future me! And perhaps it can help others out there too, who are in search of the perfect gift for a child celebrating their 4th birthday …
- Mini Lego kits: For Baby E’s 4th Birthday she received a mini LEGO kit of a rockstar at a concert: Andrea’s Musical Duet. She absolutely loved working with me to follow the instructions and put together the little stage, speakers, and rest of the scene.
- Books: Books are always one of my favourite gifts. We read 3 books every night before bed, and love having new stories to add to our collection. I have a whole post about favourite books (Reading with Young Children: Recommended Books for Babies & Toddlers) but some of our current new faves (for 4-year olds) are: Kissing Hand by Audrey Penn, First Week at Cow School by Andy Cutbill, Hog in the Fog by Julia Copus, A Visitor for Bear by Bonny Becker, The Fairy Ball (Lettice) by Mandy Stanley, Stella: A Treasury by Marie-Louise Gay, Yertle the Turtle & Other Stories by Dr. Seuss, Goldie Locks Has Chicken Pox by Erin Dealey, and The Collected Tales of Little Mouse by Dugald A. Steer & Libby Hamilton.
- Sticker books: Baby E received a few Usborne Sticker Dolly Dressing books as gifts and she absolutely loved them! Often she would ask for these sticker books as our “bedtime story”!
- Scooter or bike & Nutcase helmet: Baby E’s #1 wish list item for her 4th birthday was a scooter. After some research, we decided on the Globber, and we (and she!) have been happy with this choice. She was able to hop on right away and ride the scooter – including operate the brake. The only thing is that our tall 4-year old already needs the handlebar at its tallest setting! We also got her a cute Nutcase helmet which has been fabulous. The magnetic “no-pinch, no-tears” buckle is the best!
- Craft projects: Baby E loves to craft and she received a few craft projects for her birthday that have been a big hit! For example, egg carton animals, tile mosaics, decorate your own princess tiara, foam letters for projects, felts, and slightly more intricate colouring books.
- Jewelry or clothing: If you’re raising a little fashionista like we apparently are … dresses or shoes can make a good gift! Our little girl recently told us “I don’t have enough shoes to choose from!” Uh oh …
- Music player: Our little one loves to dance and listen to music. Her Auntie and Uncle got her a little music player and speaker so that she can choose and play the music herself!
- The gift of experiences: The gift of experience and memories is the best! Gift cards or money to put towards a set of swim lessons, dance classes, art lessons, or a membership to the local gardens or museum are so much fun.
These are just a few of the gifts that were a big hit with our 4-year old little girl. Does your 4-year old have any other favourites?